History of Rotary Club of Rawalpindi
The Rotary Club of Rawalpindi traces its origins to the visionary initiative of Rtn. Ahmed E. H. Jaffer, a distinguished member of the Constituent Assembly of Pakistan and a Past President of the Rotary Club of Karachi. The inception of this club was realized during an auspicious tea gathering held in honor of Rtn. Ahmed E. H. Jaffer, graciously hosted by Mr. Inam-ur-Rahim, who held the prestigious position of Commissioner of Rawalpindi Division at the time.
At this gathering, Rtn. Ahmed E. H. Jaffer presented the idea of establishing a Rotary Club in Rawalpindi. This proposal was met with unanimous approval, leading to the official foundation of the Rotary Club of Rawalpindi.
On the pivotal date of April 16, 1953, the club was formally formed with the convening of its inaugural luncheon meeting, during which the club's leadership was duly elected. The Rotary Club of Lahore acted as the sponsoring club, and Rotary International issued the charter on May 26, 1953. Lt. Col. Shahbaz Khan was duly designated as the Charter President, and Rtn. Fateh Muhammad assumed the responsibilities of the Charter Secretary of the Club.
A landmark event in the club's history, the Charter Banquet, unfolded on the 26th of June, 1953, at the venerable Flashman's Hotel in Rawalpindi. The presentation of the Charter was conducted by none other than the illustrious Field Marshal Muhammad Ayub Khan, who, at the time, held the esteemed position of Commander-in-Chief of the Pakistan Army. This momentous occasion was graced by the presence of Rtn. Governor Mohan Singh from the 52nd District of Rotary International.
During its nascent decade, the club exhibited its philanthropic spirit by contributing over Rs. 30,000 to a diverse array of commendable projects. Notably, a substantial portion, Rs. 25,000, was allocated to establish a T.B. Clinic dedicated to the vital mission of eradicating Tuberculosis. In the years following 1964, the Rotary Club of Rawalpindi continued to ardently support a multitude of charitable endeavors and fundraising initiatives. A notable example includes a noteworthy contribution of Rs. 5000 to the National Defense Fund in 1971.
The Rotary Club of Rawalpindi experienced a transformative year during 1972-73, marked by an impressive resurgence in membership attendance and a proactive commitment to projects that aligned with the Rotary mission.
From 1973 onwards, the Rotary Club of Rawalpindi has remained ardently engaged in an expansive spectrum of humanitarian projects with a focus on:
The past five decades, spanning from 1973 to 2023, bear testimony to the unwavering dedication and heroic endeavors of the Past Presidents & Rotarians of this club.
The Rotary Club of Rawalpindi emerged as a formidable force in disaster relief efforts, actively participating in the aftermath of the 2005 earthquake, the humanitarian challenges posed by the 2009 IDP crisis and the floods in 2010. In the present day, members of the Rotary Club of Rawalpindi continue their noble tradition by actively contributing to relief initiatives for those affected by flooding in Pakistan in 2022. These actions resonate with the core principles of Rotary International.
The historical records, diligently preserved and passed down by esteemed Rotarians PP. Haroon Sulaiman Khan, PP. G. M. Chaudhary (Late) & PDG Haji Iftikhar Ahmed are enshrined in the Club Library Archives. These archives serve as an invaluable source of recollection, ensuring that the enduring humanitarian contributions of our fellow Rotarians remain eternally cherished and a source of inspiration for future undertakings.